Thursday, February 5, 2009

My MIT Sloan Video Game Case Study

While I was pursuing my MBA at MIT Sloan, I authored a case study on the video game industry. The Strategy group was using an extremely dated case on the video game industry to highlight the importance of establishing installed bases in various markets, so I talked to Professor Sterman about updating it and wrote a brand new case!

The case highlights the various strategies of MS, Sony, and Nintendo up to 2006. It also goes into a brief history of the industry, from the old Atari days and the first incarnation of Activision, through the rapid consolidation of the industry around the turn of the century, up until the current generation of consoles.

Enjoy! Comments most welcome!

MIT Sloan Video Game Case Study

(FYI, this case is the property of MIT Sloan and cannot be re-distributed without the school's permission. Please contact the school if interested in using the case. This case will soon be available on MIT's Open Courseware website so it is free to read.)

3 comments:

  1. cool... great job dude!

    you could have spiced it up with a bit more of gamer's jargon (e.g., Wii LAME, Sony RIP , Microsoft Noob, Bill Gates ROFL)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any chance I can get a copy of your case study? I'm writing a report on the use of 'Walled Gardens' for a MSIS course, and the video game industry is known for it's use of walled-gardens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, a bit late on this, but I updated the link so you can get the case.

      Delete