Friday, February 6, 2009

I'd be angry if I was AC/DC...

You know why? Because I'm one of the Rock Gods, eagerly sought after by the Rock Band and Guitar Hero folks, and when I finally DO agree to license my music with Rock Band, my exclusive title doesn't sell for $#*@!!! According to vgchartz.com (I'm digging this site for its free sales info), less than 300,000 units of the AC/DC Rock Band game were sold! (Nov 2008 - Feb 2009 across all platforms)

Compare this to Guitar Hero: Aerosmith, which has sold 2.25 million, and I would be very ticked off. I would be thinking, "Man, I like Steven Tyler, but Aerosmith is NOT eight times more bad-ass!" And truth be told, they're not. For as much as AC/DC rocks, justice has not been served.

One contributing reason to lackluster sales is the exclusive arrangement with Wal-mart. You could only get this game at Wal-mart. No Target. No Best Buy. No Gamestop (which owns Electronics Boutique). I really don't understand the logic behind this deal. Why cut out so many channels? Unless AC/DC got a sick upfront deal, I don't why this would get greenlit as is. Because I'm sure they're unhappy with royalties off of sales.

Sorry AC/DC, maybe we can make a game for you that garners the success it deserves down the road...

No comments:

Post a Comment